Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Vidya games


My experience with videogames started in my early childhood when visiting my grandparents who (at the time) lived about five to ten minutes away. My grandparents had often babysat my cousin while my uncle was away on trips or just getting his life figured out. During that time, they (my grandparents) bought him the original NES console and racked up an impressive amount of games, many of which would become classics.
             
This was an awesome introduction for me, a kid growing up in the 90’s when most of the classic gaming platforms were starting to adapt and evolve. With my cousin’s help, I was introduced to a world of pixilated satisfaction… and crippling addiction.

This is what Fox News actually believes

 
The Christmas after I turned five, my parents got me my own Super Nintendo (SNES, Super NES, Super Famicom, whatever.) I would have that very system until I was in middle school. By that time, I’d gone through almost every generation of Game Boy from the original to the DS, and I’d even purchased a PSP despite having an iPod. And a DS. And pretty much everything else the PSP was ever good for (seriously, all it was useful for was mobile internet and even that gargled balls.)

The Xbox was definitely a great system, particularly for someone like me who skipped two generations of consoles (and thankfully so, I have a suspicion I’d be a Nintendo guy had I bought those). Honestly, had I continued up with the other consoles I’d probably be more into the whole gamer scene right now. And it’s unfortunate that I didn’t because the gamer scene is just now starting to become really fun to be a part of, and I only get a small piece of that that’s either plastered all over the internet or explained to me by weird friends.

So what makes videogames so awesome? Well, as an ADD child, they were easily able to overwhelm my senses and keep me rooted in what I was doing—most of the time.

I'm looking at you, PGA Tour
  However, it’s strange when I think about my ADD and gaming because many of my favorite games to play actually required patience and careful timing. I was involved into Real Time Strategy for a long time and the only reason I ever gave it up was because the disc drive on my laptop broke, making it impossible to play Rome: Total War.

TAKE ME INSTEAD! TAKE ME INSTEEEEEAAAAADDDD!

No comments:

Post a Comment